[General] I envy your glossy curly hair. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maoyueh

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. I envy you your glossy curly hair.
2. I envy your glossy curly hair.
3. I envy you for your glossy curly hair.

I know #1 and #3 are correct. But I wonder whether #2 is also correct. I think it might be correct British English because I found some similar sentences in my dictionaries; for example, "I envy your success/your good fortune/your ability to work so fast." Thank you so much.

To my ear all three are correct, and number 2 is in no way inferior to the others.

I am not a teacher.

I wouldn't use #2 myself. I never use 'envy' in that way.

You will hear things like "I envy your glossy hair" all the time but it actually doesn't make much sense. We envy people because of what they have or what they do. We don't actually envy jobs or hair etc.

I don't know that I have ever heard hair called "glossy" before.

Really? Shampoo/conditioners advertisers in the UK frequently claim that that will be the result of using their product.

I'm not exactly up on beauty terms, so my opinion may be of little value in this area. I would expect "shiny" maybe. "Glossy" makes me think of the finish on photos, or perhaps automobile paint.

I think that all three work.

Not a teacher.

All three work. Thank you for calling my hair glossy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back