Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
i dont understand following sentense in the novel Wuthering Heights,can you please explain ?

"I obeyed, so far as to quit the chamber; when, ignorant where the narrow lobbies led, I stood still, and was witness, involuntarily, to a piece of superstition on the part of my landlord which belied, oddly, his apparent sense. "

Last edited by a moderator:
She was told to leave the room, but then got confused where to go. While standing there trying to figure out which hallway she should choose, she saw the landlord do something that demonstrated the landlord's superstitious beliefs.

I don't understand following sentence in the novel Wuthering Heights. Can you please explain?

Note my corrections to your post above, marked in red.

Always start a sentence with a capital letter. Always capitalise the word "I". Apostrophes are important. Separate sentences with a full stop, not a comma. Do not leave a space before a question mark.

hendrick, please note that a better title would have been I obeyed, so far as to quit the chamber.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Hey i dont still get it ! Can u plz explain sentence structure ? i m quite weak in language ,srry :( !

Hello, hendrick.

Could you read post #3 and edit your second post following emsr2d2's advice, please?

Thank you.

:)

Hey i dont still get it ! Can u plz explain sentence structure ? i m quite weak in language ,srry :( !
You'll always be weak in English if you deliberately mangle it wherever possible. Why not try to post this again in proper English?

Hey, I still don't get it. Can you please explain sentence structure? I am quite weak in English.

Hey, I still don't get it. Can you please explain the sentence structure? I am quite weak in English.
That looks much better!

"I obeyed, so far as to quit the chamber; when, ignorant where the narrow lobbies led, I stood still, and was witness, involuntarily, to a piece of superstition on the part of my landlord which belied, oddly, his apparent sense. "

I obeyed by quitting the chamber. Then I stood still because I was ignorant of where the narrow lobbies led. I was involuntarily witness to my landlord's superstition. His superstition oddly belied his apparent sense.

Which bit are you having trouble with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back