Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
When answering the question : "Do you like doing the dishes ?" what's a correct answer ?
a) "No, I don't mind (it)."
b) "Yes, I do mind (it)."
c) "I don't mind (it)."

When answering the question : "Do you like doing the dishes ?" what's a correct answer ?
c) "I don't mind (it)."

All are correct. We normally tend to use either of the last two answers to express negation with emphasis (b) or affirmation (c). The first is a case of double negative and traditional grammar holds that double negatives combine to form an affirmative. So You can also use it express affarmation

c) "I don't mind (it)."

The most natural reply is c. The other two has a Yes/No answering to the question "do you like" but then changes focus to minding or not minding.

The other problem is that you change from "like" to "mind."

Do you like doing the dishes?
Like it? Well, not not really, but I don't mind doing them.

That means I wouldn't choose it as a fun way to spend my free time, but I don't resent the time I have to spend doing it.

Like it? No, not at all! I can't stand doing them.

That means that no only would I not choose to do them, but I would prefer anyone else do them instead of me.

So both "I don't mind" and "I don't mind it" are okay ?

So both "I don't mind" and "I don't mind it" are okay ?

I think your question should be: so both “I do mind" and "I don't mind it" are ok.

Yes. If you want to express your disapproval empathetically in no uncertain terms ( no, no, not at all I can't stand washing dishes) then, say: Yes, I do mind it.
Otherwise, if you want to express your reservations about washing dishes but since no one else is present, then say: I don't mind it.

Last edited:
What is wrong with okay?

Nothing. Both are used to express agreement, understanding, acceptance, or the like; You can use any one as per choice.
You can say: , Okay, I'll get it for you. Or OK, I'll get it for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back