Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What's your goal here?

You're apparently able to understand what he says so I'm not sure what the issue is. Are you trying to mimic how he says it? When you come across fast speech in a video, you could try slowing down the playback speed and turning the volume up to make it easier to process.

Reactions: 5jj
What's your goal here?

You're apparently able to understand what he says so I'm not sure what the issue is. Are you trying to mimic how he says it? When you come across fast speech in a video, you could try slowing down the playback speed and turning the volume up to make it easier to process.
I have slowed the the speed down for many times. No luck. I did understand him because of subtitles.

What are you trying to do?

I don't think you need to worry about not being able to hear one person saying one phrase just once. You've read the subtitles and now you know what he says. He might never say it that way again. You might never hear another native speaker say it that way again. Don't get hung up on these little details.

What are you tr
What's your goal here?

You're apparently able to understand what he says so I'm not sure what the issue is. Are you trying to mimic how he says it? When you come across fast speech in a video, you could try slowing down the playback speed and turning the volume up to make it easier

I was impressed by the video recording like that and I try to understand whether there is a pattern or the way the native speakers use in various situations.

How does he pronounce I don't know? I hear he does not utter t. But he does even more so that know is hard to hear. [ https://youtu.be/6_PI1l5NKL8?t=19] 0:19
That would be a very fast "I dunno" which a lot of natives say (particularly in some parts of the UK, actually where you might end up with just "dunno" as an answer). That's the kind of thing that happens when you have a "bothersome" "t" sound and you're speaking fast. want to = wanna, going to = gonna, got to = gotta, etc.

Check that:

Last edited:
I was impressed by the video recording like that and I try to understand whether there is a pattern or the way the native speakers use in various situations.
Have a look at this one. She gives you a few of the most common "rules" in American English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back