I didn't know how that tied in with my blood test results.

Idk2222

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany
Have I used the phrasal verb ''tie in'' correctly according to AmE rules?

The other day, while talking with my endocrinologist about my blood test results, he started talking about the weather all of a sudden and I didn't know how that tied in with my blood test results.

That works.

Have I used the phrasal verb "tie in" correctly according to AmE rules in AmE?
Don't use two apostrophes to create quotation marks. Find the correct key on your keyboard.
The other day, while talking with my endocrinologist about my blood test results, he started talking about the weather all of a sudden and I didn't know how that tied in with my blood test results.
I'd shorten it to:

The other day, while talking about my blood test results, my endocrinologist suddenly started talking about the weather; I couldn't see how that was relevant.

That avoids the unnecessary repetition of "my blood test results". If you really want to use "tie in", I suppose you could just finish with "I couldn't see how that tied in".

I would probably say I couldn't see how the two things are related.

There are, of course, no rules as such. There are patterns of speech. The "rules" are what we expect to happen-- what we expect to hear in speech or see in writing.

I would probably say I couldn't see how the two things are related.

There are, of course, no rules as such. There are patterns of speech. The "rules" are what we expect to happen-- what we expect to hear in speech or see in writing.
So my version is incorrect?

Or
I couldn't see what the weather has to do with my blood test results.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back