Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Suppose John is an alcoholic. He drinks a lot of strong alcohol every day. He wants to test his willpower, so he decides to attempt a whole week without drinking. After a week passes, he calls his friend, who is also an alcoholic. They meet up and go to a pub. After getting drunk on vodka and whiskey, they step outside, and John tells his friend the entire story:

It’s been an entire week since I last drank strong alcohol. Seven days during which I deliberately haven't had anything like vodka, whiskey, or brandy. I’ve occasionally had soft drinks, but I've been trying to keep the amount of those to a minimum. According to my phone's notebook app, which I've been using to track my progress, I’ve had just two bottles of beer and a bottle of apple cider in a week. That’s compared to the couple of bottles of something strong like vodka or cognac that I typically drink per day. It’s felt pretty unusual to me.

I made up the scenario and wrote the text above. Is it correct to use the present perfect for the bolded verbs in this context?

Past tenses would be more appropriate. The week ended in the past, when the speaker got drunk on vodka and whiskey.

It had been an entire week since I last drank strong alcohol. Seven days during which I deliberately didn't have anything like vodka, whiskey, or brandy. I occasionally had soft drinks, but I was trying to keep the amount of those to a minimum. According to my phone's notebook app, which I was using to track my progress, I had just two bottles of beer and a bottle of apple cider in a week. That’s compared to the couple of bottles of something strong like vodka or cognac that I typically drink per day. It felt pretty unusual to me.

Have I used the correct past tenses?

It's just a point of logic but it should be noted that if he was trying to go a week without drinking (which, because he's an alcoholic, we take to mean without drinking alcohol), he failed completely because he had beer and cider!

Is what I wrote in post #3 correct in the context of post #1?

"Soft drinks" are non-alcoholic, like Coke or Pepsi.

Yes, spirits like vodka are called "hard liquor," but we don't refer to beer as "soft."

"Strong alcohol" is understandable, but not idiomatic.

There are basically three categories: liquor, wine, and beer. There's not really a generic term for wine and beer as a lesser strength drink.

Simply refer to whiskey, vodka, brandy, etc as 'spirits'.

It had been an entire week since I last drank hard liquor. Seven days during which I deliberately didn't have anything like vodka, whiskey, or brandy. I occasionally had mildly alcoholic drinks, but I was trying to keep the amount of those to a minimum. According to my phone's notebook app, which I was using to track my progress, I had just two bottles of beer and a bottle of apple cider in a week. That’s compared to the couple of bottles of something strong/hard like vodka or cognac that I typically drink per day. It felt pretty unusual to me.

Can anyone please tell me if this sounds right in the context of post #1? Are the bolded past tenses used correctly?

The first sentence is not very natural unless you have some sort of past-time marker, for example:

Until we met this evening, it had been an entire week since I last drank hard liquor/spirits..

Your passage is fine otherwise.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back