[Grammar] ... I decide to start the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
a. The original thread has become a little complicated, so I decide to start the new one.

b. The original thread has become a little complicated, so I decided to start the new one.

c.
The original thread has become a little complicated, so I have decided to start the new one.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...was-is-there?p=1429232&viewfull=1#post1429232
-----------
Which of them are acceptable? could you tell me the reason?

Use c. You need present perfect in both clauses.

Say a new one.

Use c. You need present perfect in both clauses.

Say a new one.
How about these? In these cases which of them are acceptable? could you tell me the reason?

d. The original thread became a little complicated, so I decide to start a new one.

e. The original thread became a little complicated, so I decided to start a new one.

f. The original thread became a little complicated, so I have decided to a the new one.

d. is not right at all.

f. is the one you want. It's important to use present perfect in the second clause.

It's not as important to use present perfect in the first clause. In fact, past simple is fine. But you need it in the second clause.

d. is not right at all.

Is "decide" a stative verb?
----------
https://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/stative-verbs.html

Some English verbs, which we call state, non-continuous or stative verbs, aren't used in continuous tenses (like the present continuous, or the future continuous). These verbs often describe states that last for some time. Here is a list of some common ones:

likeknowbelong
loverealisefit
hatesupposecontain
wantmeanconsist
needunderstandseem
preferbelievedepend
agreeremembermatter
mindrecognisesee

It's not as important to use present perfect in the first clause. In fact, past simple is fine. But you need it in the second clause.
What does 'as' here mean?

(1) It's not as important to use present perfect in the first clause.
(2) It's not important to use present perfect in the first clause.

What is the difference in meaning between them? Could you tell me?

What has that got to do with the topic of this thread?
If 'decide' is a stative verb, then (a) and (d) are possible. For example, 'think' is a stative verb, so we could say: (use the present simple tense)

g. The original thread has become a little complicated, so now I think I have to start a new one. (Please compare it to a.)

h. The original thread became a little complicated, so now I think I have to start a new one. (Please compare it to d.)
--------
I am assuming 'decide' is not a stative verb due to (a) and (d) are not correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does 'as' here mean?
It's not as important to use the present perfect in the first clause (as in the second clause).

That is how I understand it.

It's not as important to use the present perfect in the first clause (as in the second clause).

That is how I understand it.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back