Current Location
India
If I am capable of grasping
God
objectively,
I do not believe
, but precisely because I cannot do this
I must believe.

This is the signature of a member of a site. I really don't understand what he means by this sentence.

Neither do I. It is meaninglesss twaddle.

If you had objective evidence of God's existence, then God would be a fact. An indisputable fact.

We don't have "faith" in things that are objectively existent.

This person is saying if they could grasp or understand God objectively, then he would not have faith in God. He would have knowledge of God, not a belief in Him.

Then he or she says that exactly because he can't objectively grasp or understand God, he can not have knowledge, he must instead believe in Him.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. - Hebrews 11:1

It is meaninglesss twaddle.
It has been suggested to me in a PM that these words might offend believers, so I would like to make it clear that I was referring to the words, not to the the apparently intended message.

The message conveyed by the words used by SoothingDave has a meaning. In my opinion, the words originally asked about, "If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this, I must believe" are, without a clear religious context, so obscure as to be meaningless to most native speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back