Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There are many English clubs in my city and I've joined most of them. However, there is a very good one I have never joined before. A few days ago, I told the host of that English club meeting I wanted to join them and they accepted. Everyone was supposed to say something there, the first thing I said was:

I believe this would be my last destination. I've been and joined many English clubs and now I find the best one.

Is the italic sentence natural?

There are many English clubs in my city and I've [STRIKE]joined[/STRIKE] been a member of/been to most of them. However, there is a very good one I have never [STRIKE]joined[/STRIKE] belonged to/been to before.

A few days ago, I told the host of that [STRIKE]English[/STRIKE] club [STRIKE]meeting[/STRIKE] I wanted to join [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] and they accepted me. Everyone was supposed to say something there. The first thing I said was:

I believe this [STRIKE]would be[/STRIKE] is [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] the last [STRIKE]destination[/STRIKE] club I'll ever need [to join]. I've been [STRIKE]and joined[/STRIKE] a member of many English clubs [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but now [STRIKE]I find[/STRIKE] I've found the best one.

Is the italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

May I ask what's good about the English club?
What makes you think it's the best?

May I ask what's good about the English club?
What makes you think it's the best?

There are many ncie people and English lovers who speak very good English.
The place where it is held is good. We have an English-speaking environment.

There are many nice people and English lovers who speak very good English.
The place where it is held is good. We have an English-speaking environment.

Here's a bit of English practice for you - try to come up with some more interesting adjectives than the ones I've marked above.

There are many easy-going/talented people.
The place where it is held is well-decorated/has a good vibe/beautiful.

Here's a bit of English practice for you - try to come up with some more interesting adjectives than the ones I've marked above.
My try:
There are many interesting people and English lovers who speak very good English.
The place where it is held is amazing. We have an English-speaking environment.

I dont like "English lovers". It could mean lovers who are English or people who love the English.

How about "keen English learners" or just "people who love/are passionate about English"?

There are many easy-going/talented people. Neither of those are synonyms for "nice".
The place where it is held is well-decorated/has a good vibe/beautiful. Suggestions 2 and 3 are OK. "Well-decorated" is irrelevant. It's the kind of the thing you might see in an estate agent's blurb.

See my comments above regarding your changes.

Aren't there any native English speakers at this English club? That's quite unusual, in my experience.
You could get over ted's reasonable dislike of "English lovers" by saying "English language lovers".

Also, you've used four sentences to express just a few ideas. They could be better amalgamated into something like:

[I think it's the best English club because] A lot of interesting English language lovers go to the meetings, which are held in a lovely bar/hall/room.

I don't think you need "We have an English-speaking environment". That goes without saying - it's the whole point of an English club.

Aren't there any native English speakers at this English club? That's quite unusual, in my experience.

There are but they don't show up each time. Moreover, native English speakers don't mean English teachers. They don't correct our mistakes, nor do they speak very good English. They speak very fast, however.

You could get over ted's reasonable dislike of "English lovers" by saying "English language lovers".

I agree with you and ted. However, "English lovers" in my context just means "English language lovers". Anyway, I'll use the latter in the future.

There are but they don't show up each time. Moreover, native English speakers don't mean English teachers. They don't correct our mistakes, nor do they speak very good English. They speak very fast, however.

They don't need to be teachers. They simply need to speak natural, colloquial English so that you can all get used to it.

They don't correct our mistakes, nor do they speak very good English.
Do you mean that they have accents that you find difficult to understand? If that is the case, it is not necessarily true that they don't speak 'good English'.

I don't think it is practical or discreet for native speakers to correct learners' spoken English when they speak to each other, especially with other people around. It is unlike a forum like this where text is written and can be studied and discussed at will.

When I lived in Madrid, I belonged to two language groups. One was an intercambio (language exchange). It lasted for three hours - for the first 90 minutes, everyone spoke English and for the final 90 minutes, everyone spoke Spanish. We all made occasional corrections but the general idea was just to get everyone comfortable with chatting in public in a second language.
The other group was an English-speaking club for Spaniards. There were usually about 15 Spaniards and five or six native English speakers. We played English games, we gave little presentations, we had discussion groups, competitions and all sorts of other things. The only rule was that only English could be spoken all evening. Some of the native English speakers were teachers but that was irrelevant. We simply spoke naturally and made very few corrections.

I don't like 'my last destination'.

It might be the best English club you've encountered so far, but it might subsequently deteriorate and leave you looking elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back