Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please correct my text.

This is part of teaching statement letter with the headline of Practicing Theories and staying updated

I ask students to use theories’ main concepts to explain certain behavior in real life by assigning them small homeworks. As an example, last semester in the ....theories class, when I teach ... theory, I assigned them to make some general perceptions about peoples’ careers, marriage status, and education and check whether their judgment was accurate or not. After the experiment, I asked them to explain the findings of their assignment using the theory's key statement. They found these types of experimental assignments enjoyable while effective to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please correct my text.

This is part of teaching statement letter with the headline of Practicing Theories and staying updated

I ask students to use theories’ main concepts to explain certain behavior in real life by assigning them light homework. As an example, last semester in the ....theories class, when I taught ... theory, I assigned them to make some general perceptions about peoples’ careers, marriage status, and education and check whether their judgment was accurate or not. After the experiment, I asked them to explain the findings of their assignment using the theory's key statement. They found these types of experimental assignments enjoyable and educational.

It's unclear to me what kind of theories you are talking about.

Please correct my text.

I ask students to use theories’ main concepts to explain certain behavior in real life by assigning them small homeworks. As an example, last semester in the ....theories class, when I teach ... theory, I assigned them to make some general perceptions about peoples’ careers, marriage status, and education and check whether their judgment was accurate or not. After the experiment, I asked them to explain the findings of their assignment using the theory's key statement. They found these types of experimental assignments enjoyable while effective to learn.

I don't like the idea of using the apostrophe 's" with abstract things, though I understand the rule about it being used for objects has been relaxed.

You switch between theories' and theory's.

Please correct my text.

This is part of a teaching statement letter with the title "Practicing Theory and Staying Up-to-date."

I ask students to use theory's main concepts to explain certain behavior in real life by giving them small homework assignments. For example, last semester in the ....theory class, [STRIKE]when I teach ... theory[/STRIKE], I assigned them to make some general perceptions about peoples’ careers, marriage status, and education and check whether their judgment was accurate[STRIKE] or not[/STRIKE]. After the experiment, I asked them to explain the findings of their assignment using the theory's key statement. They found these types of experimental assignments enjoyable while effective for learning.
What are the elipses (...) for? What kind of theory class is it?

It's not clear whether you mean theory or a theory.

Dear Charlies,
Thanks for your correction. The class was sociopsychology theories where I teach several theories. What I meant to explain was how I teach theory effectively in general.

As the members have pointed out above, there is a problem with the phrase I ask students to use theories' main concepts.

Does your reader have any idea about what kind of theories, or which ones, you're talking about? Have you already explained this in previous context? If so, you could say: the/these theories' main concepts.

If not, then spell it out: the main concepts of (various) theories in sociopsychology.

Dear Charlies,
Thanks for your correction. The class is sociopsychology theories where I teach several theories. What I meant to explain is how I teach theory effectively in general.

It's just Charlie. (That's awfully formal.) (I didn't get a special thanks. Now my feelings are hurt. ;-) )

The teaching is effective if the students learn what you teach them. Otherwise, it isn't.

As the members have pointed out above, there is a problem with the phrase I ask students to use theories' main concepts.

Does your reader have any idea about what kind of theories, or which ones, you're talking about? Have you already explained this in previous context? If so, you could say: the/these theories' main concepts.

If not, then spell it out: the main concepts of (various) theories in sociopsychology.
Good advice! That will make it a lot clearer.

Dear Charlie,
I truly appreciate your comments and feedback, and I valued every single comment I received.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back