Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
Hello again.

I've been wondering if it's possible to use the "present continuous" and "present perfect continuous" in the same context?; i've seen it done quite a lot online, however, I would like to clarify whether or not it is possible grammatically.

Examples
Present continuous
I am currently working at McDonalds; I'm not there right now, but I work there.

Present perfect continuous
I have been working at McDonalds.

Now I'm fully aware that once an indiciation of time has been introduced, such as "1 year", "for 2 hours" etc; the "present perfect continuous" is best suited.
Sometimes my peers tend to mix up the verb tenses and say things such as
"He's working out, that's why he's so big" but shouldn't it be "He's been working up, that's why he's so big"?, I mean isn't working out at the exact moment in time.

[STRIKE]Hello again.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

I've been wondering if it's possible to use the no quotation marks here present continuous no quotation marks here and no quotation marks here present perfect continuous no quotation marks here in the same context? no semi-colon here I've seen it done quite a lot online. However, I would like to clarify whether or not it is possible grammatically.

Examples

Present continuous
I am currently working at McDonald's; I'm not there right now, but I work there. :tick:

Present perfect continuous
I have been working at McDonald's. :tick:

Now I'm fully aware that once an indication of time has been introduced, such as "[STRIKE]1[/STRIKE] one year", "for [STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] two hours" etc, the no quotation marks here present perfect continuous no quotation marks here is best suited.
Sometimes my peers tend to mix up the verb tenses and say things such as "He's working out; that's why he's so big" but shouldn't it be "He's been working [STRIKE]up[/STRIKE] out; that's why he's so big"? no comma here I mean that he isn't working out at [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] that exact moment in time.

Please note my corrections above. Don't put quotation marks around the names of tenses.

As a general rule, I agree with you that "He's been working out; that's why he's so big" is more common and more natural. However, it could be taken to mean that he no longer works out.
I wouldn't regard "He's working out" as completely ungrammatical in that sentence. It could be used to express a regular habit, although it would normally be accompanied by some kind of time frame, such as "He's working out six times a week; that's why he's so big". It's an alternative to the present simple in this context.

Why do you look so fit?
I'm playing tennis five times a week.

Last edited:
So in that case they somewhat interchangable?
"He's working out six times a week"; It feels a little off.
I'd just say "he works out six times a week", perhaps I need to find some material on this subject.

When it comes to teaching English there are (at least) two schools of thought. Prescriptionists believe in rules, and I certainly understand the value of rules for learners whose native language is not English. But here at UE.com we are pretty firmly in the descriptionist camp, at least in my opinion. That is to say, if native speakers use certain words or expressions, we believe them to be good English, regardless of what prescriptionists may think. A good example is the rule against ending a sentence with a preposition. Personally I've always loved the (probably apochryphal) retort attributed to Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put." In other words, FalaGringo, we may not be the ideal place for you.

I very much like it here, I've used other English forums and they're quite strict on everything. I'm only here to better my understanding of the English language, that being said, every input helps.

Hello again.

I am currently working at McDonalds; I'm not there right now, but I work there.

It is "McDonald's".

It is, similarly, "Sainbury's", "Macy's", etc. But it is "Starbucks".

Andromeda, Please state that you are not a teacher, in accordance with the forum's Posting Guidelines.

The simplest way to do this is by adding a note in your signature line, like Charlie Bernstein has done.

(Click Settings and then Edit Signature.)

shouldn't it be "He's been working up, that's why he's so big"?, I mean isn't working out at the exact moment in time.

No, not at all. You don't have to be talking about this exact moment in time in order to use the present continuous. Far from it.

Think of conversational examples like:

I'm reading a really interesting book at the moment.
I don't think she's going out with anyone.
I'm drinking far too much these days.

To me, if you say that you are currently working at McDonald's, I don't care whether you're on duty, but assume that you have other plans for your professional life in the longer term. (Not judging those who work there long-term)

The Economist is fond of referring to mimimum wage jobs as McJobs. :)

Wonderful. It all makes sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back