Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
I always have problems with the past tense of 'ring'. Rang /ræŋ/
Some webs pronounce it similar to 'a' and some others to 'e' to my ear. I know this sound doesn't exist in my language. Could you tell me a few simple words where the 'æ' sound is included.

Thanks in advance.

* Not a teacher

rap, cat, rat, flat, fracture etc.

Hi SirGod,
Thank you for your reply. 'Fat' is also another one. I guess is like a weak 'e' in my language. By the way I'm from Spain. Could someone confirm it?

Try this website and just search for any of the words you were given or, any three-letter word in which the middle letter is "a" (except those which end -ar or -ah). "Rang" might be in there. If not, you can suggest that a word be pronounced and recorded (I think you have to sign up to do that).

Bear in mind also that quite a lot of people use "rung" instead of "rang".

My Spanish pronunciation may be a bit skewed but I would say that the "a" in "rang" is very close to the one at the beginning of "abono" or in "padron". What's a Spanish word with a weak "e"?

Try this website and just search for any of the words you were given or, any three-letter word in which the middle letter is "a" (except those which end -ar or -ah). "Rang" might be in there. If not, you can suggest that a word be pronounced and recorded (I think you have to sign up to do that).

My Spanish pronunciation may be a bit skewed but I would say that the "a" in "rang" is very close to the one at the beginning of "abono" or in "padron". What's a Spanish word with a weak "e"? I don't think there's one at all. Las vocales fuertes son: a, e, o. Las débiles son: i, u. It was a wrong way of saying it, in fact!

Hi,
Thank you for your reply and website. It's really good.

L54

You can also listen to it here.

Rover

If the OP is hearing different sounds for the vowel, perhaps part of the problem is the difference between British and American English pronunciations of the words listed.

But I hope you're not encouraging it! ;-)
My Spanish pronunciation may be a bit skewed but I would say that the "a" in "rang" is very close to the one at the beginning of "abono" or in "padron". ...
:oops: Sorry, it's not. English speakers are no good at hearingor producing [a], They've learnt not to hear it - as any human baby learns not to attend to sounds that their mother tongue doesn't use).

b

Hi BobK,
But I hope you're not encouraging it! No, I'm not.:)

L54

[AmE - not a teacher]

I'm really confused. "Rang" sounds exactly like the vowel in "el rey" (king) to me.

[AmE - not a teacher]

I'm really confused. "Rang" sounds exactly like the vowel in "el rey" (king) to me.

Hi,
If you are talking abour BrE, yes it does! At least for me.
But in the case of 'swam', it is the AmE that sounds like 'rey'. Funny, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back