[General] I’m not here to pick up (17 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I downloaded (my friend recommended that I should download) an App to practice my spoken English. But the App is notorious for one-night stand. So I wrote something as my signature in my profile:

I’m not here to pick up any women but looking for partners to improve my spoken English.

I wonder if the sentence is natural.

I downloaded (my friend recommended that I should download) an app to practice my spoken English. But the app is notorious for one-night stand.

I don't understand. Do you mean it's notorious for attracting people looking for one-night stands?

So I wrote something as my signature in my profile:

I’m not here to pick up a woman. I'm looking for partners to improve my spoken English.

I wonder if the sentence is natural.
Now it is!

I don't understand. Do you mean it's notorious for attracting people looking for one-night stands?

Many people use that App for one-night stands.

If it's notorious for this, I am surprised that you downloaded it.

I'm surprised that you're surprised that I downloaded it, Piscean.

Is it wrong to practice my spoken English with people who also want to do that? We live in a world full of different people and many people also are looking for casual sex partners. Does it mean we shouldn't live in this world? I absolutely don't think so.

It's just an App. If you think it's for one-night stand, then it is. I just take advantage of it to improve my English.

Many people use that app to find one-night stands.

App is not a proper noun.
Yes, that's what I thought. You don't have one-night stands with apps. You have them with people. That's why the line needs to be rephrased.

I think it's odd that people know they're going to bed with you before they've even met you. This is more proof (as if more were needed) that I've been sheltering-in-place too long!

I downloaded [STRIKE](my friend recommended that I should download)[/STRIKE] an app, recommended by a friend, to practice my spoken English. But the app is notorious for its use by those looking for a one-night stand.
See above.

I’m not here to pick up any women but looking for partners to improve my spoken English.
That's okay, but consider also:
I’m not here to pick up women but looking for people to practise my spoken English with.

I'm surprised that you're surprised that I downloaded it, Piscean.

Is it wrong to practice my spoken English with people who also want to do that?

Well . . . yes! A dating site if for dating, not for practicing English.

We live in a world full of different people and many people also are looking for casual sex partners. Does it mean we shouldn't live in this world? I absolutely don't think so.

You don't think we shouldn't? Be careful with double negatives. They're not always wrong, but they're often confusing.

It's just an app. If you think it's for one-night stands, then it is.

1. You told us it is!

2. App is not a proper noun!

I just take advantage of it to improve my English.
There's nothing wrong with visiting a dating site. All we're wondering about is visiting it when you don't want a date.

Please stop capitalising "app". You did it in three separate posts. In post #1, that was fair enough because you didn't know it was wrong. However, the error was clearly corrected in post #2, yet you made the same error in posts #3 and #5. Please look carefully at our corrections. We don't like to think we're wasting our time.

Thanks for telling me this, emsr2d2. I'm deeply sorry about it. I did that in all the threads where I used app. I thought it was a noun and I'd seen people capitalize it.

But I really didn't mean to waste your time. Sometimes I don't know and sometimes I just can't help (for example in the thread about "sick of teaching"). I don't trust myself and it's not your problem. I'll pay more attention to it!

Thanks for telling me this, emsr2d2. I'm deeply sorry about it. I did that in all the threads where I used app. . . .

And you were corrected in this thread every time.

I thought it was a noun . . .

It is a noun. But it's a common noun, not a proper noun — Like Shanghai and the Beatles and Wednesday and Harvard University and Silverobama.

. . . and I'd seen people capitalize it.

Don't believe everything you read. (Except here!)

But I really didn't mean to waste your time. Sometimes I don't know and sometimes I just can't help (for example in the thread about "sick of teaching"). I don't trust myself and it's not your problem. I'll pay more attention to it!
No problem at all. Now you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back