Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
I was just a neighborhood kid. There was no running water in our house. Or electricity. So in the evenings, when I came home from school, I’d sit out near the road. Across the street there was a hotel where foreigners stayed. I’d watch them play Frisbee. I’d watch them buy African souvenirs from the street vendors.

If the author said " I’d watch them playing Frisbee and buying African souvenirs from the street vendors." , then what would that mean? I notice something the -ing form of verb are used with notice, see, watch, hear.

Source:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAGP2DcHJM-/

There might be a grammatical or linguistic difference. If there is, it's too subtle for this boy. For practical purposes, they mean the same thing.

Maybe someone else can identify a difference.

There is a difference. Assuming he has native-level fluency, the author would have used playing and buying if he'd been thinking about them as continuous, ongoing activities. Using play and buy means he was thinking of these as discrete, repeated activities.

Opening the link revealed that my niece is one of nearly a million Instagram users who have liked the linked post. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back