Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : self practice

A : Are there any big festival in your country?
B : Yes, My favorite is Hwaseong Cultural Festival held in Suwon.
A : How will you celebrate?
B : There will be King Jeongjo's Royal Tomb Event and Nighttime Martial Art Performance.
A : What else will happen?
B : Also, there will be World Traditional Costume Festival and fireworks.
A : How long does the festival last?
B : It's/It lasts from Oct 3rd to Oct 6th.

I wonder if all the underlined parts are OK without articles and with all capitalization.
If something is wrong, please correct them.

Source : self practice

A : Are there any big festivals in your country?
B : Yes, My favorite is the Hwaseong Cultural Festival held in Suwon.
A : What events will there be?
B : There will be the King Jeongjo's Royal Tomb Event and the Nighttime Martial Art Performance.
A : What else is planned?
B : Also, there will be the World Traditional Costume Festival and fireworks.
A : How long does the festival last?
B : It lasts from Oct 3rd through Oct 6th.

I wonder if all the underlined parts are OK without articles and with all capitalization.
If something is wrong, please correct it.

My suggestions.

My suggestions.

What is the difference between these two?

1: It lasts from Oct 3rd through Oct 6th.
2: It lasts from Oct 3rd to Oct 6th.

My suggestions.
I have a material regarding the content as below, but I can't upload it here.
Anyway, I'd like to know if native speakers actually distinguish the concept of "specific" and "unique" for "the".
In this case, "the" seems to function as "unique" according to the following definitions, but it could be "specific" at the same time.
This kind of adding "the" to unique nouns is quite hard for the Koreans and the Japanese as we don't use it for this case.
I think "specific" can be treated as "unique" and vice versa. What do you think?

the Hwaseong Cultural Festival

==========================================
How to use "the"

Rule 1: Indefinite articles are used for previously unknown nouns that are being introduced into a dialogue or story and definite articles are used for nouns that have already been introduced (or are already known or are assumed to be known at the point of introduction to the conversation).

For example:

I saw a cat. The cat was sitting on a fence. The fence was painted brown. The cat jumped off the fence when it saw a mouse. The mouse ran into a hole when it saw the cat so the cat didn't catch the mouse.

Rule 2: When a Noun is Unique, Use a Definite Article

Another important rule is when something is unique[SUP]*[/SUP] or, in other words, there is only one of that object. In this case, the definite article is used. The sun, the president, the queen of England, the capital city, and the moon are all examples. This is especially true for objects that are well known by many or most people, but it is true even when the hearer may not know the object:

A:Who's he?
B:He's the president of Korea. She's the CFO. He's the mayor.

Last edited:
What is the difference between these two?

1: It lasts from Oct 3rd through Oct 6th.
2: It lasts from Oct 3rd to Oct 6th.

In this case the word through is used to indicate that the event takes place on Oct 3rd and Oct. 6th and all the days in between. It's used for clarity.

Two different perspectives. The mouse was happy. The cat was disappointed.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back