Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

I have two question to ask:

No.1
Are both 'humbleness' and 'humility' noun forms of 'humble'? If they are, could you please explain the difference between the two? I think the former indicates state while the latter indicates action. Is that right?

No.2
Only when I left my parents for college_____ how much I had depended on them.
a. did I realize b. had I realized
The key is 'a'. No problem. Could you please kindly explain if 'b' is possible?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Last edited:
Only when I left my parents for college_____ how much I had depended on them.
a. did I realize b. had I realized
The key is 'a'. No problem. Could you please kindly explain if 'b' is possible?

Think about the sequence of events. The Past Perfect tense places the 'realization' as occurring before you 'left for college".
Can one recognize having a feeling before the event that triggers(sets off/causes) the feeling/realization?

Last edited:
Dear teachers,

I have two question to ask:

No.1
Are both 'humbleness' and 'humility' noun forms of 'humble'? If they are, could you please explain the difference between the two? I think the former indicates state while the latter indicates action. Is that right?

Dear Jiang:

Humbleness and humility are synonyms. They mean exactly the same thing: the quality or condition of being humble.

Humbly yours,

Petra

'humbleness' is an (innate) state of being, where the person is meek and modest in their behaviour, attitude and spirit.

In contrast, you have a person who is proud, haughty and arrogant.
Now, if such a person where 'humbled' = taught a good lesson that he is not such an almighty important person, then he might reach a state of 'humility', which is: the quality of not being proud because you are aware of your bad qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back