Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers and fellow learners,

I was playing with rhymes the other day and realized that BALL would rhyme with CALL, FALL, GALL, TALL, but not DALL? It sounds that BALL would rhyme with DOLL instead of DALL. So my question is: What happened with DALL? How does "D" change the sound of "ALL"? Is there any rule here?

Thanks a lot

What do you think "dall" means? I can find only one usage online and that is in "Dall sheep", a specific sheep found from Alaska to British Columbia. On this site, you can play the phrase and "dall" rhymes with "call/fall" etc.

I don't know if it means anything. Just curious how would a person who has learned phonics pronounce "DALL". I feel the "a" will be pronounced as in "cat".

What do you think "dall" means? I can find only one usage online and that is in "Dall sheep", a specific sheep found from Alaska to British Columbia. On this site, you can play the phrase and "dall" rhymes with "call/fall" etc.

I would pronounce dall to rhyme with "tall". I knew the word as part of the name EMS mentioned, dall sheep. I pronounce doll the same way.

If I had never seen it before, I would probably rhyme it with call/tall etc. However, it might depend on the context. If it were in an article about Indian food, I might assume it was related to dhal, and pronounce it that way (darl).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back