How would you describe such a person, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
I wonder if you could, kindly, help me find some addjectives to describe such a person. In 'My Family' series, season 5, episode 2, at some point Susan tries to make Ben (her husband) understand that their son's friend was trying to get off with her. Firstly, Ben insists it was only imaginations, but even after taking it seriously he behaved as if it didn't matter to him, making his wife upset. Obviously, Susan expected him to have a special feeling, or to be a bit of a '...', which is what a husband is supposed to show in such cases. (I'm not looking for 'jealous', as I think it's a negative way of describing this quality in character. She must have expected something else. Then, how should we describe Ben, using an adjective? And, what do you think might be the right adjective for a character opposite that of Ben? (A positive adj, appraised by woman, perhaps)

Maybe we could use 'caring' (?!), but I'm more thinking of a less general adjective.

Watch My Family Season 5 Episode 2 online | NovaMov - Free and reliable flash video hosting

Time: (15.15 - 16.20)

Thank you so much, in advance!

If "jealous" isn't what you are looking for, perhaps "protective" or "possessive" is better?

If "jealous" isn't what you are looking for, perhaps "protective" or "possessive" is better?

Though it sounds a bit of a general term, 'protective' is much better a choice. 'Possessive' gives me the feeling of caring for one's possessions and 'things'.

Thanks a lot dear SoothingDave!

Though it sounds a bit of a general term, 'protective' is much better a choice. 'Possessive' gives me the feeling of caring for one's possessions and 'things'.

Thanks a lot dear SoothingDave!

One can be possessive about people too. But 'possessive' is used in a negative sense.

One can be 'protective' without being loving.

What about 'concerned'(similar to caring) or simply 'loving' ?

not a teacher

Ben seems to me to be insensitive. Is that what you are looking for?

I think "possessive" sums up your second question (from what I've read. I keep getting a hair conditioner ad on constant replay when I click on your link).
Even though "overly possessive" is a negative term, Susan did want Ben to feel possessive of her. She wanted him to be a bit jealous. These aren't necessarily negative terms when they're used in that context. They are normal human emotions, and Susan would have liked Ben to display them, at least in this context.

Ben seems to me to be insensitive. Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks! And should I say he's insensitive to / about her feelings?

Cheers!

I think "possessive" sums up your second question (from what I've read. I keep getting a hair conditioner ad on constant replay when I click on your link).
Even though "overly possessive" is a negative term, Susan did want Ben to feel possessive of her. She wanted him to be a bit jealous. These aren't necessarily negative terms when they're used in that context. They are normal human emotions, and Susan would have liked Ben to display them, at least in this context.

There must have been some temporary problem with the link. Many thanks for the time you spent checking the link!
It's interesting, because I used to think 'possessive' would always give a negative sense, no matter where it's used.

Thank you so much for the help!

It's interesting, because I used to think 'possessive' would always give a negative sense, no matter where it's used.
No, there's nothing inherently negative in the concept of possession, or about husbands being possessive of their wives if another male is attempting to take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back