[General] How was your vacation? Have you visited any places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My student Nina was back from her vacation. (We had five days off) and I asked her the following question when seeing her today:

How was your vacation? Have you visited any places?

Are my questions natural? (Nina likes traveling and she might travel around China during these five days off)

I'd say 'Did you go anywhere interesting?

My student Nina was back from her vacation[STRIKE].[/STRIKE] (we had five days off) and I asked her the following question when I saw her today:

If you start a sentence with a parenthesis, you have to end it with a parenthesis.

How was your vacation? Did you go anywhere/Did you go away?

Those are natural ways to ask whether she traveled.

Are my questions natural? (Nina likes traveling, and she might have traveled around China during those five days off.)
There!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say 'Did you go anywhere interesting?

Much appreciated, Rover. I think I do need the first sentence. Did you mean I need to use only your suggestion or the following two?

How was your vacation? Did you go anywhere interesting?

"Have you visited any places" was entirely wrong. You need the simple past and you have to say what kind of places you're asking about.

The use of the word "vacation" ("holiday" in BrE) would strongly suggest to me that the person went somewhere, so "Did you go anywhere?" (the grammatical form of "Have you visited any places?" would be redundant.
If I already knew someone had been away (ie out of their home area), I'd just say "How was your holiday?"
If I knew they had had some time off work but I didn't know what they'd done, I'd say "How was your time off? Did you go anywhere?"

I wouldn't assume they went somewhere, so asking about that would be appropriate.

Here we often use the word "vacation" to mean an extended time off. (There's summer vacation and Christmas vacation to name two.)

So "How was your vacation? Did you go anywhere?" would work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back