Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi everyone, my native language is not English, but we have a writing class. My teacher asked us to write an English essay for 5paragraph. Can you teach me the skills of writing? My essay topic is Significant Inventions in the Modern World. Thanks!

Last edited:
You'll need to do a bit of research, if your instructor hasn't already given you any handouts or writing guidelines. I'd ask your instructor if he or she has any guidelines for you to follow first.

Then, I'd suggest an internet search on 'paragraph development'.

Here are a couple of results, chosen from the first two search returns.

UNC Writing Center's guidelines on paragraphs
University of Washington's paragraph development guidelines

Those are merely chosen at random and not necessarily recommendations. There will be many more, but you'll note they cover pretty much the same basic ideas.

You're welcome to post back with more specific questions, but we cannot actually write any of your essay, as it has to be your own work.

Also, note this should have gone in the Editing and Writing Topics section, not the Pronunciation and Phonetics section, but I imagine a moderator will move it there for you eventually.

Actually, I see that this was a duplicate post from the Editing section. Perhaps a mod can merge the threads.

Last edited:
In a writing class, it is the teacher's job to teach writing skills.

Note that we don't start questions with "How to". Your title should have been "How can I write a good essay?" or "Can you tell me how to write a good essay?"

Thank you for answering, I will try these websites to improve myself every day.
I can't express how thankful and grateful I am.

Ok, next time I will pay attention to the way to ask questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back