How to write a resignation letter by email?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I may need to write a resignation letter to my supervisor. Do I need to explain anything for it (actually, I do have some reasons) or just write a standard resignation letter to her?

Also, can I mention that the deadline for my work and usually how long should I let them know in advance?

Thanks

If this is a resignation, I am not sure you owe anyone anything. Just say what you feel or nothing at all.

The answers to all your questions will be different depending on where you work and what your terms and conditions are. In some jobs, you don't have to give any notice at all, or a notice period can range from a work to about three months. I don't believe it's obligatory in any job to give your reasons for leaving although some companies do something called an "exit interview" where they try to find out why you've left and see if there was anything they could have done better so that you wouldn't have left. I don't think you're obliged to tell them anything in that scenario either.

A resignation letter can be as simple as "Please note that I wish to tender my resignation with immediate effect. As per the terms of my contract I am giving one month's notice - my final day will be the 18th October 2014. Thank you."

The answers to all your questions will be different depending on where you work and what your terms and conditions are. In some jobs, you don't have to give any notice at all, or a notice period can range from a work to about three months. I don't believe it's obligatory in any job to give your reasons for leaving although some companies do something called an "exit interview" where they try to find out why you've left and see if there was anything they could have done better so that you wouldn't have left. I don't think you're obliged to tell them anything in that scenario either.

A resignation letter can be as simple as "Please note that I wish to tender my resignation with immediate effect. As per the terms of my contract I am giving one month's notice - my final day will be the 18th October 2014. Thank you."
I have submitted my resignation but they have not replied to me yet. How long does it take usually for receiving their feedback? Just feel like they will not even pay me any more for the last week and reimbursement. Thanks.

It's impossible to say how long it might take them to respond. All companies are different. They are obliged to pay you for any work you do for them, provided you fulfil the terms of your contract. If you gave them enough notice, they must pay you until your last day. I would telephone the HR department to check they received your email and ask them when they plan to send the acknowledgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back