Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello dear friends. I am writing a paper about archaeology. In this paper, I discuss one issue at the very beginning of the article and then later I want to get to this already-discussed issue at the end of article. Which of the following is a better way of writing?
1- To return to the earlier discussion of buildings, one may find undeniable similarities between X and Y.
2- Getting back to the earlier discussion on buildings, one may find undeniable similarities between X and Y.
3- Returning to the earlier discussion on buildings, one may find undeniable similarities between X and Y.
Actually, a native English speaker friend suggested the first sentence, but I find it a bit vague. Looking forward to hearing from you.

How about: In the discussion on buildings in Section XXX(I presume your paper is divided into sections which are numbered), one may find..

I do not think it is necessary to say "returning" or "getting back". Giving the reference to the particular section of the paper would be more helpful.

Hello mahdi1, and welcome to the forum. :)

I wouldn't use #1. I find #2 or #3 okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back