Student or Learner
Native Language
Kazakh
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
Hello everybody!

I'm having a debate with my friend about this word right now and we cannot conclude how's first syllable of this word have to pronounce? I'm telling him that it have to pronounce like [Di] and he telling me that it's pronounce like [De]. So, could anybody resolve our debate by explaining how this syllable have to be pronounce and why?

P.S. If this could help, D'vorah is transliteration from arabic and pronounces on it like "Daborah" and translates like female hornet.

Last edited:
I don't know the word, but if I encountered it and had to try to say it, I would say "duh-VOR-uh."

It's not an English word so you're unlikely to get a definitive answer from native English speakers. I suggest you ask a native Arabic speaker.

I would use /də/, but as an English speaker, I am just guessing at how it might be pronounced. Emsr2d2's suggestion is probably the best advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back