Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I know at the end of an essay, one can write "in conclusion" or "to sum up". But is it possible to use "To recapitulate"?

Imagine this is a 4 paragraph essay, can recapitulate be used like that?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To recapitulate,xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I wouldn't.

To recap is to summarize the main points of your essay, not draw conclusion from it. The essay would be without a conclusion if you did that.

What if I want to just summarize the main points of the essay in the last paragraph? Can I use "to recapitulate" in that case?

What if I want to just summarize the main points of the essay in the last paragraph? Can I use "to recapitulate" in that case?

Yes, but it serves a different purpose from "to conclude".

You don't have to say you're doing it. Just do it.

I read columns by professional writers regularly. They never use those words. Never.

I read columns by professional writers regularly. They never use those words. Never.

Where can I read high-level essays about social issues? Newspaper essays are not what I'm looking for.

P.S: Sorry if it's off-topic.

PM me and I'll give you the names of some of my favorite writers. (They are Americans, of course.)

Exactly. I wouldn't use any of those. I'd just end the essay. You don't have to announce that you're ending it. You just have to end it.

On top of which, no one will take you seriously if you use recapitulate. It's insurmountably dorky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back