English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear phoneticians and phonologists.

I learned (that) the syllabic N is articulated by letting the toungue fixed in the alveolar ridge and then making a glottal stop sound.

I would like to know how the syllabic L as in BOTTLE, LITTLE, HUSTLE, BUSTLE, GOOGLE, MUDDLE, PUDDLE and so forth must be articulated?

Your assistance and insight will be deeply appreciated.

I nave never heard the tiniest hint of a glottal stop after the ordinary N. It's only there when there's an apostrophe after the N.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering Probus.

I'm not referring to an ordinary N, just as in CAN or WHEN; otherwise, I rather mean to a syllabic N as in COTTON /ˈkɒtn/ and BUTTON /ˈbʌtn/ in which the Schwa sound (ə) in /ˈkɒtən/ and /ˈbʌtən/is not articulated because the vowel sound is taken by the syllabic N as shown in the first phonimic representation.

But my interest is not about the syllabic N, it's about the syllabic L as shown in my thread in the words BOTTLE
/ˈbɒtl/ HUSTLE /hʌsl/ MUDDLE /ˈmʌdl/

I pronounce these words (as does everyone I know) with a schwa before the 'l', as if bottle were spelt bottel.

The phonetic transcription of them, as far as I'm concerned, should be /ˈbɒt(ə)l/, /ˈhʌs(ə)l/ and /ˈmʌd(ə)l/.

Thank you Roman55

Do you know the reason why the Schwa sound (ə) is in parenthesis?

It's because there is a sound there, but it is almost entirely swallowed.
I have seen it without the brackets too, like this /ˈbɒtl/. I think it is a matter of convention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back