Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
Is this sentence right? John has to submit his report by next Friday and I received his email asking for an extension. So I want to send him an email below.

How much of an extension are you looking at?

That's good conversational English.

I would end that sentence with 'for' rather than 'at'.

So would I as person who posted is the one who will be granting it- the other person's asking asking for permission.

I agree about "for" rather than "at". "At" can be used but it doesn't really work there.

A: Can I get an extension?
B: How much of an extension are you looking for?

A: Can I get an extension?
B: Yes.
A: OK, great. What sort of extension would we be looking at?
B: No more than a week.

I would end that sentence with 'for' rather than 'at'.

That would be right, too, but it wouldn't have the same flavor as "at." Maybe "looking at" is just an Americanism.

- I hear it's expensive. How much are we looking at?
- It might be a long drive. Do you have any idea how many miles we're looking at?
- Since it was her third robbery conviction, she's looking at a long stretch in the pen.

Could be "How long of an extension..." as well.

That would be right, too, but it wouldn't have the same flavor as "at." Maybe "looking at" is just an Americanism.

We use looking at with this meaning in British English too, but it doesn't work so well in a request.

- I hear it's expensive. How much are we looking at?
- It might be a long drive. Do you have any idea how many miles we're looking at?
- Since it was her third robbery conviction, she's looking at a long stretch in the pen.

I don't think any native speaker would use 'for' instead of 'at' in any of these sentences.

American speakers would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back