Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do we ask "how long do we have to do something"?

Like Q: "how long do we have to submit the documents?"

A: You have three months to do so.

Do we ask "how long do we have to do something"?

Like Q: "How long do we have to submit the documents?"

A: You have three months [STRIKE]to do so[/STRIKE].
Yes, that's fine.

If you'd read some English every day, you'd learn how to express your thoughts with fewer words.

Do we ask "How long do we have to do something"?

[STRIKE]Like[/STRIKE] For example:

Q: "How long do we have to submit the documents?"
A: "You have three months to do so."

Note my corrections above. You must capitalise the first letter of a full sentence inside quotation marks. You put the words in the "Q" part of the dialogue in quotation marks but not the "A" part of the dialogue. Why?

Note my corrections above. You must capitalise the first letter of a full sentence inside quotation marks. You put the words in the "Q" part of the dialogue in quotation marks but not the "A" part of the dialogue. Why?

Because this is what my question was. I wanted you to check that sentence in particular.

Because this is what my question was. I wanted you to check that sentence in particular.

Quotation marks are for marking quoted text. Don't use them for any other purpose, even though some native speakers do.

Quotation marks are for marking quoted text. Don't use them for any other purpose, even though some native speakers do.

But what is the way to indicate that my emphasis is on a particular phrase or sentence? How would you know what I would like to be check in particular?

But what is the way to indicate that my emphasis is on a particular phrase or sentence? How would you know what I would like it to be checked in particular?
You can underline it, set it in bold or set it in a color. If you do the latter, don't choose a very faint (faint) or bright one as I've done here. They're too hard to read.

Last edited:
But what is the way to indicate that my emphasis is on a particular phrase or sentence? How would you know what I would like to be checked in particular?

The simplest thing for your post would have been not to bother making it a dialogue at all. You could have simply written:

Is the following question natural and grammatically correct?

"How long do we have to submit the documents?"

Last edited:
Or simply Three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back