How do you think? or, What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Which is correct and in which English?

How do you think about the color red?

What do you think about the color red?

Last edited:
Which is correct and in which English?

Both are correct, MW, but they're likely to elicit different responses.

With my brain.

=====================

It's okay, but I prefer brown.

Excuse me,
Could you please explain the phrase 'with my brain'? Does it mean that the talker likes the color red?
Thank you.

Excuse me,
Could you please explain the phrase 'with my brain'? Does it mean that the talker likes the color red?
Thank you.

How do you think invites a treatise on how your brain works, the mechanics of thinking.

What do you think invites your opinion or conclusion about the subject.

More to come later.

How do you think invites a treatise on how your brain works, the mechanics of thinking.

===================

That's right, MW. I think the confusion might come from how these words 'how' and 'what' are handled in one's native tongue. In English, we can of course say,

How do you feel about {something}?

and it holds the same meaning as,

What do you think about {something]?

===================

That's right, MW. I think the confusion might come from how these words 'how' and 'what' are handled in one's native tongue. In English, we can of course say,

How do you feel about {something}?

and it holds the same meaning as,

What do you think about {something]?

BINGO!
Native tongue interference!
This is a common error for those whose L1 is Mandarin, even if they have lived in an English speaking society for 20 years.
Even anchors and interviewers on CTTV 9 English International (Beijing) commonly make this error.

BINGO!
Native tongue interference!
This is a common error for those whose L1 is Mandarin, even if they have lived in an English speaking society for 20 years.
Even anchors and interviewers on CTTV 9 English International (Beijing) commonly make this error.

The Japanese have a similar problem with how and what in this context, MW. Learning a new language by translation certainly does have its drawbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back