[Grammar] How do you propose we should do it?

• Thread starter Tannii
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,617
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tannii

'How do you propose we should do it.'
Is the above sentence correct? I feel like it's correct but at the same time I also feel like it's incorrect.

How do you propose we do it?

I thought propose should not be followed by should.

I always find the use of "should" after "suggest" and "propose" very grating. A couple of grammar sites say that it's used particularly in BrE but I don't use it.

What do you suggest I do?

I always find the use of "should" after "suggest" and "propose" very grating. A couple of grammar sites say that it's used particularly in BrE but I don't use it.

What do you suggest I do?

I'm not a fan of should in this context but I think it's okay.

I'm with emsr2d2 on this one. I think it's wrong, regardless of common usage. propose clashes with should.

When you propose something to someone, you are suggesting an idea. It is up to the receiver to accept and adopt it.
But when you tell somebody that they should do something, you are giving an advice.
I don't see how the two can be combined. It is grammatical but not logical.

Last edited:
Whether we like it or not, 'should' is sometimes used in English as an alternative to a subjunctive form. There is no 'clash'.

Ah, I see. The use of should here is not the same as in How do you think we should do it? Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back