How do you pronounce words ending with ING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Good morning, guys

I have a question: words ending with ING as in: speakIng, comIng, listenIng, so on.... this spelled I sounds like /I/ as in bIg, bItch, sIt or sounds like /i:/ as in meet, tea, but more weak and short?

Thanks

An interesting question. I think a blend of both, but if I must choose, I'll go with your second example, especially with your "more weak and short".

Good morning, guys

I have a question: words ending with ING as in: speakIng, comIng, listenIng, so on.... this spelled I sounds like /I/ as in bIg, bItch, sIt or sounds like /i:/ as in meet, tea, but more weak and short?

Thanks

I always watch the UK & US movies & TV dramas, they always pronounce "ING" without "G" sound", they only pronounce "IN" sound...of course in academic english, they wouldn't suggest you speak like this....you must pronounce it with "G" sound....

Good morning, guys

Thanks
Pronouncing "ing" with a long /i/ is a common way to stereotype a Spanish speaker in English cartoons, etc.* I guess this could apply to Portuguese as well. My advice definitely would be to try for a short /I/.

* "We don't need no steenkeeng Eengleesh!"

Good morning, guys

Thanks[/QU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back