How did ‘concern’ semantically shift to mean ‘commercial enterprise '?

Sta

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Current Location
Zimbabwe

1. How are these 2 senses of concern related? What semantic notions underlie the popular sense of 'worries', with this esoteric sense of 'commercial enterprise'? I need much more detail than these snippety sentences above.

2. Please trace all semantic shifts from Latin concernō (“I mix, sift, or mingle together, as in a sieve”) to this sense of English ‘concern’? How, and why, did concernō shift to ‘concern’ meaning "an establishment for the transaction of business"?

I never heard of this 'obscure meaning where it means "business"'!

3. But why use "concern" when "business”, "corporation", or "enterprise" are more intuitive and understandable?

Last edited:
First of all, I beg to differ that concern and the others are exact synonyms. They are somewhat synonymous but there are shades of difference in their meanings. Second, intuitive and understandable are subjective perceptions that others may not share. And third, how could anybody trace all the semantic shifts that have occurred gradually over a span of 2,000 years from a Latin root word to its present day descendant in English usage?

Last edited:
I'm not at all sure what you're looking for. Do you not understand how that word is used? Or do you approve of some usages and disapprove of others?

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back