Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I found a word in the dictionary:

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/agape

Vince watched, his mouth agape in horror.

For some reason, I think it's not commonly used. Am I right? I'm kind of sure it's not used in everyday conversations.

Is it used in telling stories? Is it strange to use it?

It isn't a frequently used word, no, but I don't think many would have difficulty knowing what it means.

I agree. It's a perfectly good word, and it deserves to be used.

Related handy words:

- astonished
- astounded
- dumbstruck
- gobsmacked
- nonplussed
- speechless

Agapé (uh-GOP-eh) is a Greek word for the love between people and God. There was a meditation center where I used to live called Agapé. Locally, wags liked to call it Agape (uh-GAYP) because the people who went there all seemed kind of — uh — gobsmacked.

Last edited:
how common is agape?

When I first saw the title of this thread, the question seemed philosophical rather than grammatical to me.

Agape is commonly used as the Greek word for universal, unconditional love. Thus used, it is pronounced differently: [əgˈape].

(I now see that Charlie, too, has touched on this point.)

Am I right? I'm kind of sure it's not used in everyday conversations.

Situations where it applies are not that common, so we use it sparingly, but when it applies. I was at the dentist on Saturday and it would apply there.

Can I add an adverb before "agape"?

She stared at the TV screen, her mouth slightly agape.

Can I add an adverb before "agape"?

She stared at the TV screen, her mouth slightly agape.
You can, but I'd advise against it. Slightly means "a little bit". Agape means "as wide open as possible". The two words contradict each other.

Keep your language simple. Say her mouth was slightly open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back