How can we refer to a part of a room on a map?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

As this matters in IELTS task one, I have trouble referring to a specific section of a room on a given map.

Would be correct to say, 'in the south of the room'?!
How about 'at the bottom of the room'?

'There used to be a cafe at/in the ...?.. of the shop which has been replaced by a reception area.'

Hi all,

As this [STRIKE]matters in[/STRIKE] is an IELTS task [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE], I have trouble referring to a specific section of a room on a given [STRIKE]map[/STRIKE] diagram/plan.

Would it be correct to say, 'in the south of the room'?!
How about 'at the bottom of the room'?

'There used to be a cafe at/in the ...?.. of the shop which has been replaced by a reception area.'

You need a compass or know where north is to be able know where south is.

Bottom refers to lower part of the room as opposed to the ceiling.

You can say front, back, left or right of the shop, or the position relative to a known location/feature to be better understood.

Last edited:
You need a compass or know where north is to be able know where south is.

On maps and diagrams, north is always assumed to be at the top of the page. I think any references to the compass points would immediately be understood as long as the person reading the comments had a copy of the same map or diagram. This might not perhaps be the most natural way of referencing them, but it would be understandable.

refers to lower part of the room as opposed to the ceiling.

It depends on what kind of view you're looking at. If you're looking at some kind of front, side, or 3-d cutaway view where you can distinguish the floor from the ceiling, then that might be true.

However, if you're looking at a top-down or birds-eye view, where everything is compressed into one plane with no sense of height, then I wouldn't hesitate to refer to something "in the top right corner' or 'bottom left side' of the room, etc. Again, context makes it immediately clear what you're referring to.

You can also use:
The top end (of the room)
The bottom end (of the room)
The right side (of the room)
The left side (of the room)
The top/bottom right/left-hand corner (of the room) ["hand" is optional for some]

What is wrong with asking a question if one is not clear? Isn't this what the forum is for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back