Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I really struggle with remembering which tense is which.

I am currently completing my CELTA (last TP tomorrow!!!), and so far havent had to tackle this.

My lesson I am planning tomorrow involves SS talking about events in their past. Its not a grammar lesson, but I just want to be aware for feedback and correction.

How can I learn them? I have Teaching Tenses book, but I still struggle.

any advice?

If that is Rosemary Aitken's book, then I don't think you'll find anything much more useful - or clear.

I am surprised that you have managed to reach your final TP without being knowing which tense is which. I strongly recommend that you work on this before you begin you beigin your teaching career.

Here is a very dull, but quite comprehensive, guide to the forms of English tenses: http://www.gramorak.com/Articles/VerbForms.pdf

It does seem silly doesn't it.

Just the way my lesson have worked out, I havent had to teach tenses. My grammar lesson was countable/uncountable nouns and quantifiers, which once I had done the research I was totally fine with.

I guess once I finish the course, I can spend time working on each one, one by one. I do have a bit of knoowledge on them, but I defiantley need more.

Thanks for the link. It is the Aitkin book I have - I feel I need something more simple maybe - if there is such a thing.

Many beginning teachers find Raymond Murphy's English Grammar in Use, Cambridge University Press, very helpful.

I second Raymond Murphy's English Grammar In Use :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back