Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
Main: After the Iranian revolution of 1979, it became the Anthropology Museum, housing numerous antiques, objets d'art, and paintings on exhibit.

Which of the following can be correct?

After the Iranian revolution of 1979, it became the Anthropology Museum, and it houses numerous antiques, objets d'art, and paintings on exhibit.

After the Iranian revolution of 1979, it became the Anthropology Museum, which houses numerous antiques, objets d'art, and paintings on exhibit.

Last edited:
I would use the simple past in 'it housed' and 'which housed'.

The second works better for me, though I'd use Anthropology Museum, housing....

The second works better for me, though I'd use Anthropology Museum, housing....
Thank you Tdol. So, the present tense is correct here, because Mattew suggested something different.

Can we also say the following?
Since the Iranian revolution of 1979, it has become the Anthropology Museum, which houses numerous antiques, objets d'art, and paintings on exhibit.

I suggested the simple past because the original sentence said nothing about the present.

Housing is not a present tense here.

It is a present participle modifying the subject 'it'.

Housing is not a present tense here.

Sorry. I meant if the verb tense here is correct:

After the Iranian revolution of 1979, it became the Anthropology Museum, and it houses numerous antiques, objets d'art, and paintings on exhibit.

After the Iranian revolution of 1979, it became the Anthropology Museum, which houses numerous antiques, objets d'art, and paintings on exhibit.

I would call it the Museum of Anthropology. This site seems to agree with me (as do several others).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back