Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What does "take" mean here? Does "hot take" simply mean "hot point"?

--------------------------------
Sam Harris liked
Megan McArdle tweeted

The worst hot take of the hour is that probably the folks who will die of covid19 were all inches from death so there's no actual increase in mortality. Average life expectancy at age 80 is 8-10 years; at 90, it's still 4-5 years.

I would guess she's using noun definition #1 (about a third of the way down the page). I would also guess that 'hot' is simply an intensifier meaning 'fresh, new, or latest'.

I would guess she's using noun definition #1 (about a third of the way down the page)

This?: Kids Definition of take (Entry 2 of 2)1: the number or quantity of animals or fish killed, captured, or caught

Why use kids' language?

This?: Kids Definition of take (Entry 2 of 2)1: the number or quantity of animals or fish killed, captured, or caught

Why use kids' language?
Hot take is not juvenile language. It's a slang term that appeared recently meaning something like "quickly-gained understanding".

A take is a reaction. An opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back