Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Canada
“Fine. I’ll hook you guys up. Just stay out of my cigarettes, that’s all I ask."
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

What does 'hook up' mean here?

There are at least three possible meanings. We can't be sure without more context.

Can you mention all possible meanings please, because for me to give you more context I will have to quote half the page?

I imagine just a few more sentences will be enough.

Although there are multiple meanings, I'm about 75% confident in this case it's using the meaning of 'supply or provide with', since the narrator is asking them to avoid taking any more of his/her cigarettes.

We don't know what it is that will be supplied without more context, however.

Can you mention all possible meanings please, because for me to give you more context I will have to quote half the page?

Well, Constantinus, if it's too much trouble for you to give the context, I guess it's too much trouble for me to answer your question.

You don't need to quote half a page for context. Surely, shortly before that sentence, someone had asked someone else for something and, at some point after that sentence, the speaker gave the other person something (or connected them with someone/something). You're the one reading the book. We can't possibly be expected to know what's meant if you just give us one standalone sentence.

I imagine just a few more sentences will be enough.

Although there are multiple meanings, I'm about 75% confident in this case it's using the meaning of 'supply or provide with', since the narrator is asking them to avoid taking any more of his/her cigarettes.

We don't know what it is that will be supplied without more context, however.
I think you are right: she promises to bring them food. But how come I cannot find this meaning in the dictionaries?

Because

1 it's slang

and

2 it's an idiom

Cigarettes suppress the appetite- she would rather provide food than have them smoke her cigarettes. (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back