homeless, hungry people were standing / stood in line for food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's not a homework.

Beyond Prairie Avenue, where the Glessner house was located, were the factories, the railroad yeards and the slaughethouses of a great industrial city. Beyond, too, were the neighborhoods where homeless, hungry people were standing in line for food. For many times were hard in December 1893.

It's an extract from my exercise book. I need to put a word "stand" into the gap. I put "were standing" but I think "stood" is also correct. Am I right?
Thanks

It's not a homework.

Beyond Prairie Avenue, where the Glessner house was located, were the factories, the railroad yeards and the slaughethouses of a great industrial city. Beyond, too, were the neighborhoods where homeless, hungry people were standing in line for food. For many times were hard in December 1893.

It's an extract from my exercise book. I need to put a word "stand" into the gap. I put "were standing" but I think "stood" is also correct. Am I right?
Thanks

Yes "stood" is correct, too. There should be a comma after "For many".

Thanks for you reply.
I'd be grateful if you exaplain to me why the comma is required. Just out of interest.

I guess "For many" means "For many people", so a comma is needed.
Not a teacher.

I guess "For many" means "For many people", so a comma is needed.
Even if we add the word 'people', a comma is till desirable. When we begin a sentence with a subordinate clause or adverbial phrase, we usually follow it with a comma.

Last edited:
As has been said, 'People were standing in line' and 'People stood in line' are both correct.

However, you'll hear many native speakers incorrectly say 'People were stood in line'.

Similarly, 'People were sitting in rows' and 'People sat in rows' are correct, but 'People were sat in rows' is wrong.

Thanks for you reply.
I'd be grateful if you exaplain to me why the comma is required. Just out of interest.

The comma is important there to stop readers from stumbling. One could read "many" as an adjective describing "times". [For many times] is a big difference from [For many, times].

One could read "many" as an adjective describing "times". [For many times] is a big difference from [For many, times].

I did, at first glance.:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back