Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I know that with the verb to say, the structure is said + comma + quote.

But what about the case below? Should I write this sentence with a comma or with a fullstop?

His voice resonated. 'I'm coming for you.'

His voice resonated, 'I'm coming for you.'

Use a comma. It's all one sentence.

As for "resonated", I think something else would work better, perhaps boomed.

Use a comma. It's all one sentence.

As for "resonated", I think something else would work better, perhaps boomed.
Since you are so kind, can you please tell me what the difference between boom and resonate is?

This is a hard one. I know that "resonated" is not usually used that way. It's true that boomed isn't normally used that way either, but it seems to fit better.

I'm sure there are several possibilities. Perhaps:

He spoke in a booming voice. "I'm coming for you!"

Scary!

Last edited:
Tarheel did not say that 'resonated' was wrong. He was giving his opinion on the choice of an appropriate verb in the sentence you presented.

If you want to know his/our opinion of the choice of verb in the sentences your Google search turned up, you'll need to present us one sentence at a time, starting a new thread for each sentence.

As 5jj already noted, I wasn't saying anybody else was wrong. I was only giving my opinion. (I'm still relearning how to use the edit feature.)

As 5jj already noted, I wasn't saying anybody else was wrong. I was only giving my opinion. (I'm still relearning how to use the edit feature.)
OK, but what does the editing feature have to do with... anything?

Nothing, I guess. It was on my mind at the moment.

If you're using resonated as an intransitive verb (which I guess you are), then you can put it like this:

'I'm coming for you', his voice resonated.
His voice resonated: 'I'm coming for you.'

The comma is wrong in the second sentence above.

If you want to use resonated transitively, then you can keep it as it is in the OP.

If you're using resonated as an intransitive verb (which I guess you are), then you can put it like this:

The comma is wrong in the second sentence above.

If you want to use resonated transitively, then you can keep it as it is in the OP.
Tarheel told me to use comma. So, do you disagree?

How about simply he boomed?

Reactions: 5jj
Tarheel told me to use comma. So, do you disagree?

I obviously wasn't clear enough, so I'll say it again.

You're trying to use resonated as a reporting verb. Reporting verbs like say/whisper/shout are used transitively. That means they have objects (say something, whisper something, shout something, where the 'something' is what is said.) If you are, then the comma is fine.

However, I don't think resonated works well as a reporting verb. I think it's just a way to describe the quality of his voice (like Tdol's boomed above.) If that's what you're doing, then it's not a reporting verb, the use is intransitive, and the comma is wrong.

I obviously wasn't clear enough, so I'll say it again.

You're trying to use resonated as a reporting verb. Reporting verbs like say/whisper/shout are used transitively. That means they have objects (say something, whisper something, shout something, where the 'something' is what is said.) If you are, then the comma is fine.

However, I don't think resonated works well as a reporting verb. I think it's just a way to describe the quality of his voice (like Tdol's boomed above.) If that's what you're doing, then it's not a reporting verb, the use is intransitive, and the comma is wrong.
Now I get it. But in your post above, you gave two suggestions regarding the intransitive form...

To me, the first suggestion seems to work the same way as verbs such as say, yell etc. Am I still getting something wrong?

To me, the first suggestion seems to work the same way as verbs such as say, yell etc.

Not quite because the subject is his voice, not he. Your voice doesn't say anything—only you say something.

You're trying to use resonated because you wish to describe the quality of his voice. You don't mean to use it as a reporting verb.

Not quite because the subject is his voice, not he. Your voice doesn't say anything—only you say something.

You're trying to use resonated because you wish to describe the quality of his voice. You don't mean to use it as a reporting verb.
Wait, I noticed an important (or unimportant?) detail. In your suggestion, you put the comma outside the quote. Is that a typo, or does it indicate something?

Wait, I noticed an important (or unimportant?) detail. In your suggestion, you put the comma outside the quote. Is that a typo, or does it indicate something?

I put it outside the quote because it isn't part of the quote but part of the sentence.

In BrE, the comma goes after the quotation marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back