Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I know that relative pronoun clauses can single things out of a larger group, but I am wondering if the context can change the effect. For example, (These are the sentences I made up)

Example 1

The ones on the list are the most advanced high-speed battleships around the world. There are about 35 of them. The first one is the most advanced high-speed battleship that most European navies use.

A: Among the most advanced high-speed battleships in the world, this one is the one most European navies use.

B: Among the high-speed battleships most European navies use, this one is the most advanced.

Example 2

This is the list of several high-speed battleships currently in service in NATO naval forces. The first one is the most advanced high-speed battleship that most European navies use.

A: Among the advanced high-speed battleships in the world, this one is the one most European navies use.

B: Among the high-speed battleships most European navies use, this one is the most advanced.

Which option fits the meaning for example 1 and which for example 2?

My personal choice is A for example 1 and B for example 2 because:

In example 1, the clause "that most European navies use" separates one of the most advanced high-speed battleships from the others.

On the other hand,

In example 2, the adjective "the most advanced" separates the most advanced high-speed battleships from the other high-speed battleships that most European navies use.

This is just my opinion, but I am not sure if these are correct. Please share with me your ideas.

Last edited:
a) The first is one that most European navies use.

= European navies use a range of battleships. This is one of them. It makes the list of 'most advanced battleships in the world'.

b) The first is the one that most European navies use.

= Most European navies use the same battleship, and this is it. It qualifies for the list.

c) The first is the most advanced of those used by European navies.

= There are multiple battleships on the list that are used by European navies. This is the most advanced of those.

Reactions: 5jj
Not directly related to the question but "battleship" refers to a particular type of vessel which is now largely obsolete. The generic term for a naval vessel is "warship"

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back