Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Today someone added a woman named Jade to an online chat room where I'm in.

Jade: Hello everyone. It's nice to meet you.

No one responded. Then I said:

Silver: Hi Jade. I'm Stones. We're of the same gem family.

A pun was intended here. I wanted to sound funny. Is my sentence natural?

Today, someone added a woman named Jade to an online chat room [STRIKE]where[/STRIKE] that [STRIKE]I'm[/STRIKE] I was in. Jade said "Hello everyone. It's nice to meet you." Initially, no one responded but then I said no colon here [STRIKE]Silver:[/STRIKE] "Hi, Jade. I'm Stones. We're of the same gem family."

A pun was intended here. I wanted to sound funny. Is my sentence natural?

It's not a pun, it's not natural and it's not funny. "Stone" isn't the name of a gem of any kind. It's a casual term for various precious stones. What's a "gem family"?

If you'd said "Hi, Jade. I'm Emerald. Want to get together and make some jewellery?", that would have been mildly amusing. It still wouldn't have been a pun.

Last edited:
Right. Stones are not in a gem family. Gems are stones.

(And what gem family is jade in?)

I made up the phrase "gem family". I wanted to mean "a group of gems". I once read in a dictionary saying that "stones" actually means "gems" while "Stones" is also a family name.

(And what gem family is jade in?)

No idea. My original sentence was a failure to make it sound funny. :cry:

I once read in a dictionary saying that "stones" actually means "gems" while "Stones" is also a family name.
The family name is "Stone". Polished, cut gems can be called "stones" in a jewelry-related context but not elsewhere.

The family name is "Stone"....

I beg to disagree, GS. There's a famous football player whose name is John Stones and now he's a player of Manchester City.

Or do you mean the family name of the gem family is called "Stone"?

There's a famous football player whose name is John Stones and now he's a player of Manchester City.

Or do you mean the family name of the gem family is called "Stone"?
Names are notoriously fickle. I hadn't seen "Stones" as a name before but it obviously exists. "Stone" is, I'm sure, much more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back