Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
hi everyone!, im from Vietnam, i have learned english for 4 years.

i've read a sentence that : "Just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better at Herbology than she is!"

i can understand it but i feel unfamilliar with the sentence: "don't want you running away" because i ve been taught that " want + to infinitive" could you explain it for me. thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, whocanhelpme.:)

H
i everyone! I'm from Vietnam. I have been learing English for four years.

I've read this sentence [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE]: "Just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better at Herbology than she is!"

I can understand it but i feel unfamiliar with the sentence: "don't want you running away" because I've been taught [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "want + to infinitive". Could you explain it for me?

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance[/STRIKE]. Unnecessary. Just click 'Thank' when you get a useful answer.
It's just an informal way of saying 'I don't want you to jump to the conclusion that...'

Please note that a better title would have been I don't want you running away.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Dear Rover_KE

Thank you very much. You are so kind and beautiful. I want to ask you a lot of questions but now i just forget. I learn English by myself, and i still don't know the best way to study it. English is very interesting and useful but so difficult. I find difficult in Writing and studying vocabulary a lot. I usually don't know how to use correct words in writing and how to differentiate them. I desire to use English fluently so i try my best to learn a lot of vocabulary by reading but i'm just familiar with them, i can't use them in writing when necessary, i don't know why. This makes me hate myself a lot, and i feel more miserable when i see someone can use English fluently, how can they use it fluently while i myself can not? This just makes me hate myself more. My target is using English fluently before i'm twenty-two but maybe i just dream. Am I not intelligent enough to study English? please tell me your way to study it correctly. Thank you again.

Learning a language has little to do with intelligence- it comes easily to some, and is harder for others. However, being negative abut yourself will not help- it will only make things worse. If you try to stop worrying about making mistakes and focus on what you are doing right, you will probably benefit. Also, you're writing is OK, but please capitalise I. Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Your post comes in handy. I know now I should capitalize "I'. Thank you a lot.

Not a teacher.

You write very well! And you even do fluently! To overcome English fluently, you can study novels, fictions or story books in my opinion. For me, speaking English is troubly more difficult than writing.
Anyway, I hope you find its way.

I' ve been taught " "want" + to infinitive." Could you explain it for me?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, WhoCanHelpMe:

Great question! A teacher has already answered us. I was wondering, however, whether you would be interested in some extra thoughts.

Yes, I believe that you are correct: usually it is "want" + "to" infinitive. But you probably know that there are exceptions to almost every rule.

If you are able to access the Google search engine, do what I did: I went to the "books" section of Google and typed in the words "I don't want you."

There were many examples of "want" + "to" infinitive. There were a few examples (from good writers?) of "want" + -ing. Here are three:

1. "I don't want you looking at a watch ... at a party. -- Joe's Girl (2011) by Margaret St. George.

2. "I don't want you playing tricks on any of us at the castle." -- Cat the Vamp (2009) by Christina Martine.

3. ""But I don't want you driving somewhere with just him, for example." -- Boundaries with Teens (2009) by John Townsend.

Why did those authors use -ing?

Well, some (some!) people would explain it like this:

In #1, "you" are always looking at your watch. The speaker does not like that.
In #2, "you" are always playing tricks. The speaker does not like that.
In #3, "you" are always driving somewhere with just him. The speaker does not like that.

On the other hand, some (some!) people feel that the "want" + "to" infinitive is more appropriate when you are referring to something that has NOT happened yet.

James

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Your answer makes sense a lot. :angel:

Not a teacher.

You write very well! And you even do fluently! To overcome English fluently, you can study novels, fictions or story books in my opinion. For me, speaking English is troubly more difficult than writing.
Anyway, I hope you find its way.

Thank you very much! I don't think I write so well, I just try my best to make some simple sentences which can help you understand my situation now. :-D. You are so right. Reading simple graded books is a very effective way to acquire a new language. Once again, Thank you so much for your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back