Hey mom, could you please make a cup of coffee for each of us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

subhajit123

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there, suppose three of my friends come to my house. I want to ask my mom if he could make coffee for us. So which of the following should I use?

• 1- Hey mom, could you please make a cup of coffee for each of us?

2- Hey mom, could you please make a cup of coffee each for John, Peter, Kate and me?

To me, if I leave out the word each it can mean I want just a cup of coffe for all of mean so I have used the word each. But I don't know in the second example how I should use the word each. I mean have I used each in the correct position in the second sentence?

Do you really think that your mom would assume that you all want to share one cup of coffee? I don't know your mom, but I doubt it!

Could you make us a (cup of) coffee, please?

The natural way to say this is Hey mom, could you please make us each a cup of coffee?

I should have mentioned that sentence one is okay.

Suppose three of my friends come to my house. I want to ask my mom if she could make coffee for us. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] Which of the following should I use?

• 1- Hey Mom, could you please make a cup of coffee for each of us?

2- Hey Mom, could you please make a cup of coffee each for John, Peter, Kate and me?
Capitalise 'Mom' when it replaces her name – such as Belinda.

'I want to ask my mom ...' is fine.

Each doesn't belong in that question. Three of you aren't going to share one cup.

Natural:

- Hey, Mom, would you make us some coffee? Thanks!
- Hey, Mom, could you make some coffee for us? Thanks, Mom!

Thank you everyone. Suppose three of my friends and I have gone to a library and ask the librarian to give every one of us a book. if I take my friends' names and say in the following way, will that be correct?

1- Hi sir, Could you please give John, Peter, Kate and me a book each?

My problem is I don't know what the correct position of the word "each" should in the above type of sentence?

Last edited:
It would be more natural to say one book each.

Do not capitalize the word following a comma unless it's a proper noun.

Three correct ways:

give us a book each
give us each a book
give each of us a book

In the context of the original, we don't usually use such formal language to our parents. If I had friends round and wanted to make such a request, I'd say "Mum, can you make us all a coffee, please? Thanks!"

My mother would have said, 'And what did your last servant die of?'

Thank you everyone. Suppose three of my friends and I have gone to a library and ask the librarian to give every one of us a book. if I take my friends' names and say in the following way, will that be correct?

1- Hi sir, Could you please give each of us a book?

My problem is I don't know what the correct position of the word "each" should in the above type of sentence?
It would be more natural to say "Could you give us each a book?"

But even that way, it's still not natural.

It would be more likely that you would ask for particular books or types of books. It sounds like you're asking for just any books on the rack. That's very unlikely.

It's also unlikely that you would name all your friends. It's more natural to just say us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back