Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What you do in the hour after you get up can help you look and feel your best for the rest of the day. Here's how to start the day refreshed and ready-to-go.

(The author then lists Cure energy with color; Stop snoozing; Drink instant energy and Give yourself a face rub)

And since there are four points of the discussion, could I use "Here are instead of Here's?)

How about this sentence:

Here are four points of how to start the day refreshed and read-to-go.

In this case, should I use "are" or "is?"

Source: Prevention Magazine. Distributed by MCT Information Services, 2013

Last edited:
I could be:
Here is the list of points...
Here are the points...

Last edited:
@neb090. I think you already know that you must always tell us the source and author of any text you quote.

How about this sentence:

Here are four points of how to start the day refreshed and read-to-go.

The verb 'are' is okay but the bold bit isn't right.

In this case, should I use "are" or "is?"

If you use a plural noun phrase, you should use 'are', not 'is'. For example:

Here are four ways to start the day refreshed and ready to go.

The verb 'are' is okay but the bold bit isn't right.

If you use a plural noun phrase, you should use 'are', not 'is'. For example:

Here are four ways to start the day refreshed and ready to go.
So if I use "how to", then it should be "Here is" no matter how many ways the author will mention later. Am I correct?

So if I use "how to", then it should be "Here is" no matter how many ways the author will mention later. Am I correct?
You're not going to get any more responses until you provide the source of the text. See post #4.

Yes.

The 'how to' phrase is singular, which is why you need 'is' not 'are'. There's usually only one way, even if it's broken down into multiple stages.

Here's how to fix your computer:

1) Turn it off
2) Cross your fingers

3) Turn it back on again

If you want to mention multiple ways, then you use a plural verb agreement, and you don't use the word 'how':

Here are three ways to fix your computer:

1) Turn it off and back on again

2) Kick it
3) Ask your friend Anthony to do it

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back