Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
1. Here is a different photograph.
2. There is a different photograph.

Couldn't someone answer what the difference is between these two sentences? I would be glad of your answers :)

First, we are not comparing complete sentences. Second, "here" indicates nearness and ",there" indicates distance.

Maybe they are used as dummy words in my examples?

Where did you find these sentences?

I suggest you focus your studies on the meaning and use of there is/are: The word there in there is/are sentences is not like the word there in the word pair here/there.

1. Here is a different photograph. (The speaker points to a photo among others.)
2. There is a different photograph. (The speaker refers to a photo that may be similar to the person or object, but separate and not necessarily available at the time of speaking.)

Couldn't someone answer what the difference is between these two sentences? I would be glad of your answers :)
First, the context and/or situation is necessary in order to respond to your thread. See my examples among other possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back