Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My friend K told me H had been suffering from depression for a while. H is our friends. I think I know part of the reason he felt depressed.

His parents divorced when he was very young. He is infected with hepatits B and his grandmother, the most important person once in his life, died a few years ago.

Is my italic sentence natural? I think it's quite wordy and not coherent.

Would you please help me?

It needs a comma after 'hepatitis B'.

Last edited:
Much appreciated, teechar. Long time no see. It's great to see you again. I hope everything goes well for you, and please stay safe!

If it happened that far back, why would he still be depressed about it?

Perhaps only a few years ago, I don't remember clearly how many numbers though. The point is that he loves his grandmother deeply because after his parents' divorcing, he then lived with his grandmother. Each time when he went through hardship, he thought of his grandmother, who always encouraged him. Now, no one does this to him.

I have one more question:

"He's got hepatitis B, and he lost his grandmother, who was very dear to him ..."

Is it okay to simply use this sentence or do I need to add something like:

He's got hepatitis B, and he lost his grandmother a few years ago, who was very dear to him in his life.

Perhaps only a few years ago; I don't remember clearly how many [STRIKE]numbers[/STRIKE] though. The point is that he loved his grandmother deeply because, after his parents' [STRIKE]divorcing[/STRIKE] divorce, he [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] lived with his grandmother. [STRIKE]Each time[/STRIKE] Whenever he went through hardship, he thought of his grandmother, who always encouraged him. Now, no one does this [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for him.

I have one more question.

Is it okay to simply use this sentence or do I need to add something like:

He's got hepatitis B no comma here and, a few years ago, he lost his grandmother [STRIKE]a few years ago[/STRIKE], who was very dear to him. [STRIKE]in his life. [/STRIKE]

See above. I don't know what you mean by the blue, underlined part. Are you talking about when she was alive or after she died?

Last edited:
His parents divorced when he was very young. He is infected with hepatitis B, and his grandmother, the most important person in his life, died a few years ago.

I think taking "once" out (as I did) makes the sentence better.

See above. I don't know what you mean by the blue, underlined part. Are you talking about when she was alive or after she died?

When she was alive. When his grandmother was alive, my friend was encouraged by her. Now, she passed away, nobody encourages my friend anymore.

The reason it wasn't clear was that you said that he simply thought of his grandmother when he was going through hard times. If you were talking about when she was still alive, especially if he was living with her, I would have expected him to talk to her rather than just thinking about her. Thinking about someone isn't usually particularly encouraging. She would have encouraged him in person.

When his grandmother was alive she encouraged him. Those talks he had with her boosted his spirits. Now that she has passed away, nobody encourages him anymore.

It's like there's a big hole in his life -- an empty space that can't be filled. He misses her a great deal.

Much appreciated, teechar. Long time no see. It's great to see you again. I hope everything goes well for you, and please stay safe!
Thank you. I've been very busy recently.

Perhaps only a few years ago. I don't remember exactly. [STRIKE]clearly how many numbers though.[/STRIKE] The point is that he loved his grandmother deeply because after his parents' divorce, [STRIKE]ing,[/STRIKE] he then lived with his grandmother ...

He's got hepatitis B, and he [STRIKE]lost[/STRIKE] never got over the death of his grandmother, [STRIKE]a few years ago,[/STRIKE] who was very [STRIKE]dear to[/STRIKE] supportive of him. [STRIKE]in his life. [/STRIKE]
Try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back