English Teacher
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Well, I guess I need a hand here.
Is there an idiom in English that would be the equivalent for "no escurinho do cinema" in Portuguese.
That means in the dark of the movie theater... meaning the secret and protected place people would kiss, make out, etc around 40 or more years ago.

Well, I guess I need a hand here.
Is there an idiom in English that would be the equivalent for "no escurinho do cinema" in Portuguese.
That means in the dark of the movie theater... meaning the secret and protected place people would kiss, make out, etc around 40 or more years ago.

"The back row of the cinema" is the only thing I can think of that might mean what you want.

"The back row of the cinema" is the only thing I can think of that might mean what you want.
Ah - the back row at the flea-pit on Saturday night. That takes me back. :) Two back stalls, ten Woodies, two choc ices, a bit of slap and tickle - all for under ten bob.

(Two seats in the back row of the stalls [downstairs seats in a cinema], ten Woodbines [a cheap brand of cigarettes], two chocolate coated ice-creams, a certain amount of romantic dalliance, all for less than ten shillings [half a pound]).

Jed, "woodie" has another connotation here. I won't be specific, but if you had had ten of them in one evening, you'd be a very ... sore young man. ;-)

Jed, "woodie" has another connotation here. I won't be specific, but if you had had ten of them in one evening, you'd be a very ... sore young man. ;-)

:oops:

Of course, you should not be smoking 10 cigarettes in the span of a two-hour film either!

Last edited:
Of course, you should not be smoking 10 cigarettes in the span of a two-hour film either!

When I was 13, back in the days when 1) I smoked and 2) you could smoke in the cinema, I did exactly that. And then I was sick in the street outside while waiting for the bus home. Not my proudest moment.

We had drive-in movies. (Still do, but they're rare.)

Hey, I'll check whether that will suit. Thanks anyway.

We have no specific word for escurinho*, but 'the back row' is associated with the right sort of furtive/amorous/experimental behaviour.

b
PS * ... although, with my etymological hat on, I have just noticed that 'crepuscular' is similar (though not to be used in your case): oscuro Pg/ crepis Latin - 'dark'; -inho Pg/ -ulus Latin, diminutive/affective suffix. The only difference is the c, a vestige of the 'inchoative infix' -isc- - so that 'crepuscular' means 'becoming a little dark'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back