Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
United States
Which version is correct:

1) Let me help put this into perspective.
2) Let me help to put this into perspective.

I think #2 is correct with the word 'help' in the sentence and #1 is correct if the word 'help' is ommited. However, I have heard people use #1 more commonly in writing and in speech.

Please explain and thanks in advance!

Just share with you my opinion.
Help is a causative verb.
Some special verbs are classified as causative verbs which are used to mean the subject orders the object to do something.
When you learn such verbs from grammar books, there are four verbs which are especially emphasized. They are "let" "make" "have" "help".
The feature of the four verbs is there is no "to" connecting a second verb which is still in its original form.
For example, I have my brother take out the garbage.
As for example two, according to grammar books, "help" is acceptable with "to" behind connecting another verb. Although I'm not a native speaker, I think adding "to" is acceptable is because that's how many people use it as the same as "help" in example one. How native speakers use their language (although sometimes may be inexplicable) is always no reason. Language-using,I think no matter what language, tends to be clear but concise, so I think that’s why more and more people use it without “to”. I hope it helps.:)
An English major.

Which version is correct:

1) Let me help put this into perspective.
2) Let me help to put this into perspective.

I think #2 is correct with the word 'help' in the sentence and #1 is correct if the word 'help' is ommited. However, I have heard people use #1 more commonly in writing and in speech.

Please explain and thanks in advance!

Both are correct. I believe that "help" is the only causative verb that can be followed by "to" and a verb or just the verb without "to".

In more ordinary and everyday types of language, which would be most language, it's more common to not use "to" after "help". I've noted that the more formal or serious language becomes the more likely, it seems, that "to" will follow "help".

1. Let me help you to carry those boxes upstairs.
2. Let me help you carry those boxes upstairs.

Sentence number 2 sounds more natural and typical.

:cool: :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back