Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
My name is David, i wanna ask what this phrase/idiom means: Grapes of Wrath. my assumption is that it means sweetness or success after adversity. but ain't so sure. Please help.

thanks!

My name is David, i wanna ask what this phrase/idiom means: Grapes of Wrath. my assumption is that it means sweetness or success after adversity. but ain't so sure. Please help.

thanks!

No. It was the title of a famous Steinbeck novel. See the explanation here: The Grapes of Wrath Title

Yes, I know it's the name of Steinbeck's novel but does it have a meaning alone?
In the Christian Bible in the book of Revelations there is mention of the grapepress of God. God, it is written, will punish those who have sinned. "Wrath" means anger, in this case God's anger.

thanks!
Don't be fooled into thinking that the language in Steinbeck's novels is to be emulated. That's the biggest objection I have to him as a writer for English learners. You sound like one his yokels with your 'wanna' and your 'ain't'.
(Apologies if you are actually an itinerant Californian fruit picker.)

Yes, I know it's the name of steinbeck's novel but does it have a meaning alone?

Did you read the information in the link I provided?

Yes, i read it.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the language in Steinbeck's novels is to be emulated. That's the biggest objection I have to him as a writer for English learners. You sound like one his yokels with your 'wanna' and your 'ain't'.
(Apologies if you are actually an itinerant Californian fruit picker.)

"One of his yokels".

Yeah, that make me laugh.

I know what wrath means, but i still don't know what grapes mean in this phrase. Would u mind explaining. thank you!

I know what wrath means, but i still don't know what grapes mean in this phrase. Would u mind explaining. thank you!

Grapes are stomped on to make wine. The implication is there is violence and blood (if the grapes are red).

thank you for explaining, that really helped.

I know what wrath means, but I still don't know what grapes mean in this phrase. Would you mind explaining. Thank you!

Please use correct English in your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back