Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello,Teachers, which one is right?

1 How fun the Water Festival is!
2 What fun the Water Festival is!

I think the first one is corect! What do you think?

The second one is correct.

Please note that a better title would have been How fun/What fun.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Ok, I will!
I am confused. I read many exclamatory sentences, such as How beautiful the girl is! How delicious the food is! I think the first one has the same stucture as the two ones. So I think it shoud be How fun rather than What fun. But your answer is the second one. Could you please explain why for me ?Many thanks!

In 'How beautiful the girl is!' and 'How delicious the food is!' and sentences like them, beautiful/delicious... are adjectives.

In 'What fun the Water Festival is!' fun is a noun. How you tell the difference is...<hmmm>. Think of the paraphrase 'What fun we had!' In your examples you can't say '[STRIKE]What[/STRIKE] beautiful she is!' or '[STRIKE]What[/STRIKE] delicious it is!'

b

There is no need to write a new post just to say "Thank you", Mike. It makes us think there is new information or a follow-up question and we spend time opening the thread. Simply click on the "Thank" button at the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful.

Mike12345, you don't need to spend time writing a new post just to say "Thank you" (and we shouldn't have to spend time opening a thread only to find just a "Thank you" post). Simply click on the "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful.

For me, they are both correct. These days "fun" can be an adjective as well as a noun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back